One of the most valued buildings in Pori is the Old Town Hall designed by Carl Ludvig Engel, completed in 1841. Situated in the city centre on Hallituskatu, the Old Town Hall presents Neoclassicism and it is one of the few buildings that survived the 1852 fire. The English-style Old Town Hall Park located in front of it is one of the oldest parks in the city, and the location was originally home to a market square until the late 19th century. The Old Town Hall originally housed the city’s administration and courts; nowadays, the premises are used for dignified occasions. There is a restaurant in the basement.