The Lavia Museum of local history became part of Satakunta Museum in 2015 following the merger of the municipality of Lavia and the City of Pori. Lavia Museum maintains the cultural heritage and traditions of Lavia also after the merger of the municipalities.
The Museum is located in a former granary built in 1853. The tidy and accurate display of artefacts draws attention in the museum. Each item has its place and a name tag indicating the name, purpose of use and donor of the item. The items mainly comprise agricultural and household supplies and tools. They include fishing equipment, a handsome dinner bell and collection of weapons. At the foot of the stairs leading to the second floor of the museum, the visitor is stopped by a photograph of Iska Antila, a small boy of the Lavia-based Yli-Antila family, and the story of his short life.
In addition to the artefacts, the names of their donors are important to former or current Lavia residents looking for their family.
The upper floor of the storehouse features an old Bible from the late 18th century, among other items. The upper floor also houses “kirkkovakka” boxes, which were used to store the church clothes, silk scarves, church blouses and the best footwear of the household’s women. They were only dressed when on the church hill, in the church granary or a nearby familiar house, where the boxes were also left for the duration of the divine service. There is also a rock collection on display, with an example of the type of stone named after Lavia, lavialite.